Located north of Sutton and surrounded by the Township of Brome Lake, the Village of Brome enjoys an exceptional view of the massif of the Sutton mountains.
In 1799 the village, once Brome Corners, developed along both sides of Stage Coach Road used by carriages to reach Magog and Stanstead. Today there are 260 people who live in the village.
The Brome County Agricultural Society, founded in 1856 by Paul Holland Knowlton and Nathaniel Pettes, is the oldest agricultural society in Canada. In 1891 the agricultural exhibition and the Horticultural Society choose Brome rather than Knowlton as the permanent place to hold their annual fair.
An important rendezvous for local families, the event also attracts crowds of urban people who are fascinated by the animal competitions, the horse pull, horticultural exhibits and the entertainment for both adults and children. Since the end of the eighteenth century, during the Labor Day weekend, “All roads lead to Brome”!
Other important events are held on the site including the Environment and Ecohabitation Fair at the end of September.
Cyclists are likely to pass through the village of Brome, either by road 215 which connects Sutton to Bromont or on country routes leading from one village to another.