Located east of Brome Lake and west of the Appalachian massif, Bolton-West follows the section of Highway 243 called Bolton Pass. Once a route for stagecoaches, this section offers a special landscape as it is essentially a corridor between two steep mountain slopes. It is also the habitat of the peregrine falcon.
After the American Revolutionary War in 1776, the Loyalists who remained loyal to the British crown received land as compensation including in Bolton-West. Among the early Loyalists was Elkanah Phelps who settled here in 1807.
The village bore successively the names French Church, recalling the place of worship built by the early French settlers between 1830 and 1840; Duboyce’s, name of the first inhabitant of the place, and Bolton in memory of Harry last Duke of Bolton.
Farming, mostly the sale of dairy products, ensured the survival of the early settlers. Nowadays a few farms are still in operation; about 725 full-time residents and a large number of seasonal residents populate the municipality.
Surrounded by mountains including Mont Glen and Mont Foster, Bolton West is known as a wonderful hiking area. The organization Sentiers de l’Estrie manages the various circuits. There are exceptional viewpoints, ponds, streams and the North Missisquoi River.
Pleasantly hilly the area offers beautiful scenic routes, among them Spring Hill and the Brill and Argyll roads. The proximity to six other municipalities and the impressive mountain scenery contribute to the tourism development of Bolton-West. Moreover, the picnic area on the edge of the Bolton Pass is very popular with travelers, driving or cycling, who stop for a rest.