Northeast of Lake Champlain, near the Missisquoi bay, at the mouth of the Pike River and the US border, the town of St. Armand has fertile soil and a healthy forest, dominated by white oak.
A few words cover a history that begins in 1748 when René-Nicolas Levasseur, the manufacturer of the king’s fleet is given a large land grant to the east of Lake Champlain; he calls it the Seigneury of Saint-Armand. In 1784 US-Dutch families settle in Philipsburg northeast of Lake Champlain, the first village in the Seigneury and the oldest settlement site in the region. In 1999 Saint-Armand merged with Philipsburg. Today there are nearly 1,250 residents.
Agro-tourism is one of the attractions of Saint-Armand including two vineyards on the Brome-Missisquoi Wine Route: Le Domaine du Ridge and Pigeon Hill. The apple blossoms in spring enhance the decor while market gardens abound with berries. Philipsburg has one of the best bird observation sites in Quebec with over 200 bird species, a migratory bird sanctuary and one of Canada’s protected areas.
Cycling at its best! On the flat or hilly roads bordering the lake or in the heart of the countryside, the different routes keep both relaxed and keen cyclists happy. Lake Champlain brings two seasons of activities, sailing and boat cruises in the summer, skating and ice fishing in the winter.
The covered Gunthrie bridge constructed in 1845 over the Groat stream, the general store, art and craft shops, churches and the old railroad station which now houses a craft shop, the post office and a community hall are all part of the village heritage.