At the limit of the St. Lawrence lowlands, Farnham is in the Yamaska River watershed and three branches meet on its territory. Its name, from the Old English Feornham means habitat of the fern, a town of wetlands.
Loyalists were the first people to settle in the village of West Farnham in 1790 and in 1817 the American Whipple Cook built the first sawmill. The Champlain & St Lawrence railroad and the railway hub prompted the development of the village to an industrial and commercial level. In 1876 the village became the Town of Farnham, which now has more than 8400 citizens.
The first farmers to settle on both sides of the Yamaska River were fortunate, but they had to cross first by wading, then in packet boats, then by ferry, then on floating bridges. A wooden bridge was built, then an iron bridge, which was eventually replaced by the current bridge. Farnham has a history of bridges!
Starting in 1910 the military base was transformed successively into an experimental farm, a training center for the Second War and a camp for German prisoners. Today it is a training and shooting center.
Bordered by the Yamaska watershed that beautifies the scenery, the town center is the star of the show. Shops, restaurants and terraces, period buildings and the town-park all give the taste to linger.
Cultural Carrefour, the heritage circuit including Saint-Romuald Church adorned with 34 works by the painter Ozias Leduc plus various artistic events, along with golf, tennis and parachuting all add to the tourism offer.
Farnham is located at the junction of the Montérégiades I and II bike paths. A parking area on Main Street and biking information at Fromagerie Marché of the Station Gourmande, are helpful for journeys towards St-Jean-sur-Richelieu and Granby.
A member of the Brome-Missisquoi Wine Road, the vineyard Les Pervenches is in Farnham. Certified organic, it is one of very few that produces Chardonnay in Quebec.
At Farnham, we taste, we discover and we have fun!
We recommend »
Here are some suggestions to inspire you on your next visit to Brome-Missisquoi!